Happy New Year!! I can hardly believe it's 2014!!  Yesterday I talked about using the Color Coach as a tool to help coordinate and blend colors that really complement each other.  So today I wanted to show you this New Year's card I made and do a little tutorial on how and why I selected the colors used.




I really like how it turned out! Do you want to hear something funny? When I showed it to my husband the first thing he said was "I like the colors" I just laughed! I thought how funny that is, since I used these specific colors for a purpose!! So there you go, the Color Coach does work!  ha-ha



Color Principles:

So when you select certain colors whether for clothes, your house, on a card, you want them to have a meaning or convey a feeling. So here's how I came up with the colors for this card, believe it or not, I googled  popular colors for New Year's Eve. As it turns out, different countries celebrate New Year's with different colors. Without getting into to much detail, color preferences vary from China, to Russia and the Western Cultures. What I learned was that predominately Red, was a very common color used  in most countries for New Years. Other colors used were Green, Yellow and Blue.

The color Red evokes meaning of energy, strength, love, power, good fortune, all things intense and passionate.

The color Green evokes meaning of good luck, wealth, hope, growth, vitality, money, sharing and responsiveness.

The color Yellow evokes meaning of joy, happiness, creativity, cheerfulness, idealism, organization.
      (after reading that, I thought man....I should paint my craft room yellow! )  :)


So from here I went to my Color Coach, and decided to use these 3 colors.


I found this color combo, and decided to use it, as it seemed to fit the colors I chose.  See how the colors are listed on the Color Coach.  The first color shown should be the main color, the next color listed should be 1/2 the amount of the primary color, and the third color should be a 1/4 of the primary color used.

So I started with So Saffron as my main color and then used Rose Red as my secondary color, and Wild Wasabi as an accent.

I think the card and the color combo reflects happiness and fun. What do you think?

To make the most of the Color Coach, it helps to have a basic understanding of color principles. Having a greater understanding of how colors work can help you create beautiful color combinations.

Here is a Color Coach-Basic Color Principles PDF.




Card Details

For the design aspect of the card I used Mojo Mondays sketch #300





The Silver Glimmer paper was so pretty, I thought it added a little flair! (maybe one could imagine that the Silver Glimmer circle could be the "ball falling!" )  I don't know....ha-ha!!

Items used:
Paper: Subtle Designer Series Paper, Regal Designer Series Paper, Silver Glimmer Paper, So Saffron              Cardstock, Whisper White Cardstock
Stamps: Memorable Moments, Embellished Events
Accessories: So Saffron Ink, Wild Wasabi Ink, Rose Red ink, Labels Framelits, Silver Ribbon,                        Rhinestones, Chevron Embossing Folder


Happy New Year! I hope your new year is full of promise, hope and good health.

Janet Holmes


SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© Jan Girl · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS